July 22, 2011

Spa Salad

I had portobello mushrooms and didn't want to heat up my apartment by cooking, so I decided to pull a raw food trick and marinate them, which sweats them down to a cooked texture. I also had kale on hand so I pulled another raw food trick and massaged it, which helps it relax and soften a little and not be as crisp and tough. Due to the mushroom-sweating (reminiscent of a sauna, since it has to marinate) and the kale-massaging, I present to you: Spa Salad, a vegetable-pampering experience in the name of staying cool.


Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon of maple syrup
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
3 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 cups kale (leaves only, no stems), chopped into big-mouth-bite-size pieces
1/2 white onion, sliced thinly

Stir together all the liquid ingredients and the sesame seeds. Add the sliced mushrooms and stir to coat thoroughly.
Massage the kale for about 10 minutes until the volume decreases and the leaves soften. Every couple of minutes while you massage the kale, stir the mushrooms.
Add the sliced onion to the mushrooms and stir to coat thoroughly, then add the kale and stir thoroughly. Several hours later, stir again and serve.

I enjoyed my Spa Salad with some leftover brown rice that I microwaved.


What is your favorite portobello mushroom dish?


Vegan on a Shoestring

1 comment:

  1. I'm still learning to love mushrooms. I think its the gills that freak me out lol. But I do love them when they are coated in balsamic vinegar mmm mmm

    ReplyDelete