July 30, 2011

Indian Cauliflower and Potatoes (Aloo Gobi)

I made aloo gobi (cauliflower and potatoes) and it came out really good, flavorful and spicy. It's a drier dish, not saucy.

The recipe called for mango powder, which I didn't have, and I didn't substitute with anything because I wasn't in the mood for a sour dimension of flavor. Google search results indicate that I could have substituted with lime or lemon juice, or tamarind (which is yet another thing I don't have).

I substituted Jamaican hot pepper (scotch bonnet) for the green chillies and chopped them up finely since they're so hot. Also, as in a prior homemade Indian meal, I used garlic and onion powders to substitute for the asafetida.


Cauliflower and potatoes both have mild flavors. How do you dress them up when you're in the mood for something different?


Vegan on a Shoestring

No comments:

Post a Comment