July 24, 2011

Egg-Free Quiche (or, Tofu Pie)

I made my first vegan quiche and it came out great! I kept putting this off because I thought there was no way I could make a decent quiche without eggs, but now I see the light and I'm definitely going to make this again.

I also want to add that this quiche is omni-approved, the omni in question being a major tofu-phobe.

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups of cooked veggies and/or meats (I used 1 1/2 cups of chopped kale, 1/2 cup diced onion and 1/2 cup crumbled Lightlife Gimme Lean sausage which is omni-approved)
  • 9-inch pie crust (I used a store-bought spelt crust)
  • 1 cup cheese (I used Daiya pepper jack style)
  • 1 lb tofu
  • 3 Tablespoons oil
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2-1 tsp turmeric (optional, for color)*
Cook the veggies and/or meats and set aside.

Sprinkle the cheese evenly on the bottom of the pie crust and set aside.

Blend the tofu and all remaining ingredients until smooth and creamy (it may require shaking the blender or scraping the sides down). Put into a large bowl, add the veggies/meats and stir until thoroughly combined.

Pour the filling into the crust (on top of the cheese layer) and smooth the top with a spatula or create a design. (The top of the filling will not flatten itself out as it cooks, so however you leave it is exactly how it will bake up.) Don't worry if the pie looks a little over-stuffed - the filling will not expand and spill over during baking, it will go down.

Bake at 350F until filling is set and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Garnish with paprika.

*Keep in mind that however the filling looks while you're mixing it, it will come out at least twice as yellow after baking. I used one teaspoon of turmeric and the pie looked kind of nuclear with my kitchen light on. I would suggest using 1/2 or 3/4 of a teaspoon if you want it paler.

Looking nice in daylight:



Don't turn the light on! VEGAN QUICHE SMASH!




What savory pies do you enjoy?

Vegan on a Shoestring

1 comment:

  1. This looks AWESOME!! I do miss the quiches that my mom made when I was little. Which was spinach usually. And have made some quiches from "The Tofu Cookbook" by Louise Hagler, which I loved. Comfort food & healthier too!!

    ReplyDelete