October 3, 2011

French Onion Dip

This weekend I was craving chips and french onion dip. Luckily for me, Tofutti's "Better Than Sour Cream" was on sale (2 for $4!) so I got to try vegan sour cream for the first time. Of course the first thing I had to do was taste it by itself, right out of the tub. It wasn't bad! I don't know if it could pass for dairy sour cream on an omni's palate, but I will definitely buy it again for myself should the mood strike to use it on a baked potato or something.

I used the whole container with a packet of Lipton's onion soup/dip mix. The mix calls for 16 ounces of sour cream but the Tofutti container is 12 ounces. I used the whole envelope anyway, figuring that the extra seasoning would cover any trace of "fakeness" of the sour cream. I let the dip chill for about half an hour before trying it.

The dip came out SO good. It was flavorful, creamy, and very thick. An omni was absolutely shocked and said that it would, and I quote, "definitely" pass for standard onion dip and that if I ever serve it at a party I should keep quiet and then shock everyone after they taste it. The only thing is that it came out slightly salty, so next time I will only use 3/4 of the onion packet, or use the whole packet add the extra 4 ounces of sour cream from a second tub of sour cream. I guess I should have been more confident about the Tofutti!

What is your favorite brand of vegan sour cream?
What kinds of chips and dips do you like?


Vegan on a Shoestring

No comments:

Post a Comment